Rex was opened in 1946 by the Shaw Organisation with a screening of The Jungle Book. For the next 30 years, it would entertain the masses with films from various genres and in different languages. It was not unusual to see long queues forming outside it, with enthusiastic movie-goers flocking to get their tickets early. However, a dwindling movie industry finally forced its doors shut in 1983, with the movie Jaws 3 being its final feature film. That was not the end for the Rex Cinema. In 2009, the building was converted into a three-hall modernised cinema. Since then, it has screened Tamil and Hindi films, catering to the crowds at nearby Little India. Today, it remains a haunt for movie-goers looking for Indian movies. It is especially popular with foreign workers.